Freeman School Districts

These are maps of early school districts in the area.
The first school began in 1876 at the home of Rev Joseph Graber with George Roupp as the teacher. 
Rosefiled Township

In 1893 School District #1 was 2 1/4 miles east and 1/2 mile north of Freeman.  The school was later moved 1/4 mile west and became School District #69. 
In 1893 School District #2 was 5 miles east and 1/2 mile north of Freeman.  By 1902 the School District became #70.
In 1893 School District #3 was 5 miles east and 3 1/2 miles north of Freeman.  By 1902 the School District became #71. 
1n 1893 School District #4 was 2 miles east and 3 1/2 miles north of Freeman.  By 1902 the School District became #72 and was later named Sunflower School.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Childstown Township
In 1902 School District #1 was 5 miles east and 1 mile south of Freeman.
In 1902 School District #2 was 2 miles east and 1 1/2 mile south of Freeman across
from the Zion Church "Spitziche Kirche".  By 1910 the school was moved 1/2 mile north.
In 1902 School District #3 was 2 miles east and 4 miles south of Freeman.
In 1902 School District #4 was 5 miles east and 4 1/2 miles south of Freeman.


Valley School District #7 was located 5 miles south of Freeman.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heilbronn Parochial School District #13

Germans from Russia founded an area 3 miles west and 3 miles south of Freeman on 281st street known as "Heilbronn" SD.  In 1893 a Parochial School District #13 was built, with an apartment for teacher living quarters.  In 1912 a 24 by 36 foot parochial school was built to the east of the Heilbronn Church and the old school was used as a teacherage.  At this time there were 30 students and there were 42 students by 1926.  The classes at this school focused on religion and the parish school adapted standards as the public schools improved.  Jacob Wenzlff was the teacher for 18 years.  In 1943 the school closed and in 1954 the school was moved to Marion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholsser School District #15 / #66
In 1880 Schlosser School District #15 was built 7 miles east and 1 mile north of Freeman.  Peter J. Albrecht, born in 1878, taught at the school from around 1904 to the 1920's.  On January 12, 1888 Peter was not allowed to go to school because of the blizzard.  (Peter's brother) John Albrecht, Peter Graber, John Kaufman, Henry Kaufman, and Elias Kaufman all froze to death that day walking home from school.  In 1892 the school changed from District #3 to District #15 (later known as #66).  In 1909 the school was enlarged and a cistern was added in 1912.  In 1925 a new school was built.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Progressive School District #20
Progressive School District #20 was located 2 1/2 miles west of Freeman next to Hutterdorf Church in the early 1900's.  The Hutterdorf Sunday School was organized in 1912.  Rev Peter J. Stahl was the teacher and served the congregation.  The school was moved 1 mile east in the 1930's and operated until the 1950's.    
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple Grove School District #49

Apple Grove School District #49 was located 1 mile north and 2 1/2 miles west of Freeman in 1936. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summit School District #51
Summit School District #51 was located 6 miles north and 1 mile west of Freeman.  Mrs. Jacob L. Hofer was the Teacher.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gross School District #54
Gross School District #54 was located 3 miles west and 3 miles north of Freeman.  In 1928 Dave P. Gross was the teacher.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diamond Valley School District #56
In 1884 Diamond Valley School District #56 was located at Peter (Spitzberger) Graber's house on 280th Street.  Joe P Graber and Helen Waltners mother attended the school in 1884-1885.  Diamond Valley Schoolhouse was built in 1894 by Peter M. Waltner and other patrons in the center section 11 of Valley Township.  In 1899 one acre of land was purchased a 1/2 mile east on Highway 81 for the school, 1 1/2 miles south of Freeman.  In 1905 Wm Borman was the teacher.  There was a flood in the spring of 1951 that flooded the property and went over Highway 81.  Diamond Valley School, District #56, served as the one room school house for the district until the school closed in 1969.  The building was moved to the museum grounds where it stands today.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
School District #68

Mutschelknaus School District #68 was located 5 1/2 miles west and 1 mile north of Freeman. The school closed in 1955, at one time it was the largest rural school in the county with 40 students.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hillside School District #92


Hillside School District #92 was located 6 miles east and 1 1/2 miles south Freeman.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Star School District #93

Morning Star School District #93 was located 1 mile south and 4 miles east of Freeman on 280th Street.  After the school closed the building was turned into a Coffee House for the younger generation.  After a few years the building was moved to Freeman across from Papas.  It later became a shop in Freeman. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cottonwood School District #96

Cottonwood School District #96 was located 6 1/2 miles north of Freeman next to Silver Lake Church across from Silver Lake.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delzer School District #97

Delzer School District #97 was located 7 miles west of Freeman on 278th Street.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rose Valley School District #98

Rose Valley School District #98 was located in Childstown Township of Turner County around 1916.  In the ealry 1900's the entire township was known as Rose Valley District #12.