Pioneer Homes

John Wiens Home Site #1

In 1874 John Wiens home was built 5 1/2 miles east and 2 1/2 miles north of Freeman.  The house was 87 feet long by 24 feet wide, with the house 45 feet and the barn 42 feet.  The house was made of basata brick.  The house was later owned by Leland Kleinsasser. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ludwig Deckert Home Site #2

Ludwig Deckert built this home around 1879, located 3 miles east and 4 1/2 miles north of Freeman. The lumber was hauled by ox and wagon from Yankton. The house was 38 feet by 26 feet.  The house was moved to the Freeman Museum site and restored in 1979. There is a Russian oven and heating system in the center of the house.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enoch Hofer Home Site #3

The Enoch Hofer home was built 5 1/2 miles north of Freeman as a house-barn in the late 1870's.  The house was 74 feet long by 26 feet wide, the house was 36 feet and the barn was 38 feet.  The house was later owned by Joe L. Hofer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Schempp Home Site #4

Around 1880 the John Schempp house was built 6 1/2 miles west of Freeman and 1/2 mile north.  The house was 34 feet by 22 feet and made of puddled clay.  The house was later owned by Gene Lang.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul Tschetter Home Site #8
Around 1884 the home of Paul Tschetter was built 1 1/2 miles north of Freeman.  The house was a 32 feet by 22 feet frame home.  The house was later owner by Sollie Kaufman. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Hofer Home Site #9

Michael Hofer and his wife immigrated to South Dakota from Crimea Russia.  In 1878 they settled 1 mile north and 1/4 mile west of Freeman.  In 1892 they replaced the original sod home with a 2 story frame home that measured 40 foot by 26 foot.  (The lumber was hauled from Yankton.)  The home was later owned by Michael's son Jacob Hofer.     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christ Holzwarth Home Site #12

In 1873 Christ Holzwarth home was built 7 miles west and 1 mile north of Freeman, this was adjacent to Site #4.  The house was built with puddled clay and stone, measuring 58 feet by 22 feet.  Phillip Lang owned the house later on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joseph Wollman Home Site #20

In 1881 the Joseph Wollman built his home 3 miles west of Freeman.  The house was 42 feet by 26 feet built with kiln fired brick.  Mr. Wollman sold the property to Joseph C. Kleinsasser.  Mr. Kleinsasser's grandson Paul Pullman later took over the property.  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spitzberger house

The old Spitzberger house was located 3/4 mile west of Highway 81 on 280th street.  Peter J Graber and John J Gering constructed this homemade brick house.  The Spitzberger house was a local meeting place for large social gatherings when visitors from Kansas and other states came to visit.    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johann J. Gering built a house barn combination from home made bricks.  The barn was removed and the house was remodeled.  David Hofer lived in the home, he was the grandson of Johann.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1875 Joseph C. Kleinsasser built an sod home 3 miles west of Freeman near Progressive School.  The ceiling beams were hauled in from Yankton.


Johann Waltner home