Freeman Community Hospital and Personal Services

Dr. Ernest J. Hofer realized after the winter of 1936-1937 the community needed a hospital.  The doctor wouldn't be able to make it to Mrs Henry Hanneman's home to deliver her baby because of all the snow.  So began the "Schmidt Maternity Home" in 1937.  Dr. Hofer bought a house from Paul R.M. Hofer and it became Freeman Maternity Home.  In 1944 Dr. Hofer and Hildegard Schmidt came up with a plan for a town hospital.  In 1951 Freeman Hospital was built and by 1952 the 16 bed hospital was dedicated.  The Doctors consisted of Dr E.J. Hofer, W.e. Hieb, and LeRoy Kaufman.  A few other doctors joined the staff along with Dr. Villa in 1956.  In 1959 an addition was added with 30 beds.  In 1968 Dr. Waltner joined the staff.  In 1971 a 30 bed nursing home was built, dedicated in 1972.  In 1979 a 29 bed addition Nursing Home addition was built.  The Hospital and Nursing Home now had 89 beds. 
Today's doctors are Dr. Schrag, Dr. Kirton, Dr. Behl, and Dr. Schafer.  Freeman Regional Health Services is a healthcare facility which provides a full range of healthcare needs.  Freeman Medical Center is a 25-bed critical access hospital offering acute care and outpatient services.  Oak view Terrace is a 56-bed Medicare Skilled Nursing Home providing round-the-clock nursing care, along with two 10-bed dementia care units that benefit residents with Alzheimers Disease and other forms of dementia.  Rural Medical Clinic in Freeman is physically connected to the hospital.  The clinics share staffing with three full time physicians and four mid-level practitioners.  Rural Medical Clinics is owned and operated by Freeman Regional Health Services.  Walnut and Dewald Street Villages are 10-unit congregate Living independent apartments owned and operated by Freeman Regional Health Services.