Highway 81 South

We will travel from the south end of Freeman to Freedom Corner stopping at each business along the way.
Freeman Implement Case IH
In 1909 a group of farmers started Farmer's Implement which became Farmer's Cooperative Company in 1911.  In 1913 the Implement bought Buechler's garage on the corner lot and operated there until 1946.  In 1949 a new building was constructed at 423 Main.  In 1965 Earl Gering and Ray Anderson purchased the implement and it became Freeman Implement (Case IH).  Earl's son Brad Gering began managing Freeman Implement in 1979.  Freeman Implement moved to Highway 81 in 1998.  In 2014 the business was sold to Sioux International (Sioux Falls Case IH) and renamed Freeman International.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stern Oil Company
Stern Oil began in 1976 when they purchased Aamlid Oil Co. on Main street.  They purchased the plant from Standard Oil Co. in 1977.  They operated at 100 S Main street in the 1970's and moved to Highway 81 in 2002.  Gillas Stern owns the business on Highway 81 today. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Silverstar Inn > Papa's
In 1976 Ron Bennett bought the Silver Star Inn on Fifth Street and moved it to Highway 81 (Papa's location).  It was remodeled and expanded then renamed Mr. B's.  In 1984 Myron Holzwarth bought the business and it was renamed Corner Corral.  It was bought by Gillas Stern in 1993, renovated, and Paps Restaurant opened.  In 1995 it was sold to Doug Uecker.  In 2001 Keith Letcher became owner and Jim Rigo took over in 2004.  Steve Heeg will became the new owner in 2014.  Prairie House Restaurant opened in September 2014.   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freeman Country Inn
In 1998 Super 8 was built on Highway 81.  In 2006 the hotel became Freeman Country Inn.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cornerstone Steakhouse opened in 1978 on Highway 81.  It later became Fellowship Harvest Community Church which services at 702 S Highway 81.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wollman Merchandise Mart > Freeman Shopping Center

Wollman Merchandise Mart was built in 1979.  In 2008 Freeman Shopping Center moved in and still operates here today.  Subway was added on in 2010.

In 1972 Dennis Wollman started a pharmacy called "Wollman Drug" on Main Street (Freeman Courier site).  The pharmacy ran until 1979 when Heritage Pharmacy was built on Highway 81.  The pharmacy is still in business today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dairy Queen > Ampride Cenex
Dairy Queen started in the 1950's on Main street.  In 1954 Leland Voth bought Dairy Queen and moved the business to Highway 81.  Andrew Pollman bought Dairy Queen in 1956 and ran it until 1976.  In 1977 Don Diede bought the business which later became the Drive Inn.  Ampride "Cenex" gas station opened in 1990 and is operating here today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------