Cherry Street

Fensels Hatchery and Electric Supply
In 1931 Wilmer Fensel stepped off the train in Freeman for the first time.  He took control of the Gross Hatchery and by the end of 1931 he started Fensel's Hatchery (Third street Grill site).  After a few years Fensels Hatchery was established on Cherry street near the Academy.  In 1942 Wilmer started Fensels Electric Supply next to the Hatchery and later added plumbing supplies.  In 1946 Wilmer purchased the land where Fensels is now located on Highway 81.  After a fire destroyed the Electrical Supply, Fensels moved to Highway 81 in 1964.  Wilmer died in 1985.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray's Cabinet Shop

In 1970 Ray Shuktz started "Ray's Cabinet Shop.  In 1974 he moved a building to 747 S Cherry street and continued business there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casey's General Store
In 1978 Casey's General Store was built on the corner of Fifth and Cherry street, opening in 1979.  The store has operated on Cherry Street for 34 years.  In the fall of 2013 a new Casey's General Store was built on Highway 81 and the store on Cherry Street was closed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cherry Street Nursery used to operate on the north end of Cherry Street.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poplar Street

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graber's Rock and Gift Shop
Graber's Rock and Gift Shop used to operate at 740 S Poplar Street.  This small rock museum contained hundreds of rough and polished rocks from all over the world.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Office

In 1961 Freeman Post Office was built on Poplar Street where it currently operates today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave's Car Wash

In 1897 Dr. A.A. Wipf had his home here.  In 1963 Abe Wiebe bought lots from the Senior Citizens Center to build a car wash.  In 1969 Wall Haar bought the building from Abe Wiebe and named it Wally's Car Wash.  North of the car wash was Claus Bertus home.  The house was later torn down.  Today Dave's Car Wash is here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juniper Street

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walter Funeral Home

In 1939 Mike Walter had a funeral home at (Third Street Grill site) which ended in 1942 during the war.  In 1948 Mike bought the Jake Wollman store (Karios site) where he ran a furniture store and funeral home.  In 1955 Walter Funeral Home was on Juniper street and still operates here today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lawns Unlimited

Matthaus Huber had his home here in 1905.  This later became Tote Inc.  Jim's Radio Shop was here in the 1970's.  Pollman Plumbing was here later.  Today Lawns Unlimited operates here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fullerton Lumber Company > Mettler Fertilizer

Fullerton Lumber Company was here in the early 1900's.  Sokota Fertilizer began in 1964 on Juniper street.  Mettler Fertilizer purchased the former Fertilizer plant in 2001 and offers both dry and liquid fertilizer, chemical, seed, soil testing and scouting services.  They recently constructed a new storage shed for seed and chemicals.


For more information on Park Lane Feeds Click Here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Street

City Water Plant

In 1895 a windmill was built over the city well and it was enclosed for pump protection.  In 1903 Freeman established a waterworks system and got a reservoir in 1904.  The city installed a sewer in 1909 and again in 1945. The city raised a tower in 1917 and improved the powerhouse.  A new well was put in in 1923 and a new well and new filtering plant in 1950.  In 1958 the underground pressure system was updated to a 75,000 gallon elevated tank.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeman Ready Mix

Freeman Ready Mix operated at 101 S Cedar Street managed by Dave Brucklacher in the 1980's.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Custom Coils Inc.

Custom Coils opened in 1977 on the corner of Plum and Cedar street.  Custom Coils manufactured coils for electronic equipment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mannes Floral

Mannes Floral opened in 1997 on North Cedar Street and is currently operating today.