Seventh Street Businesses

Freeman Community Hospital and Personal Services

Dr. Ernest J. Hofer realized after the winter of 1936-1937 the community needed a hospital.  The doctor wouldn't be able to make it to Mrs Henry Hanneman's home to deliver her baby because of all the snow.  So began the "Schmidt Maternity Home" in 1937.  Dr. Hofer bought a house from Paul R.M. Hofer and it became Freeman Maternity Home.  In 1944 Dr. Hofer and Hildegard Schmidt came up with a plan for a town hospital.  In 1951 Freeman Hospital was built and by 1952 the 16 bed hospital was dedicated.  The Doctors consisted of Dr E.J. Hofer, W.e. Hieb, and LeRoy Kaufman.  A few other doctors joined the staff along with Dr. Villa in 1956.  In 1959 an addition was added with 30 beds.  In 1968 Dr. Waltner joined the staff.  In 1971 a 30 bed nursing home was built, dedicated in 1972.  In 1979 a 29 bed addition Nursing Home addition was built.  The Hospital and Nursing Home now has over 89 beds.

Today's doctors are Dr. Schrag, Dr. Kirton, Dr. Behl, and Dr. Schafer.  Freeman Regional Health Services is a healthcare facility which provides a full range of healthcare needs.  Freeman Medical Center is a 25-bed critical access hospital offering acute care and outpatient services.  Oak view Terrace is a 56-bed Medicare Skilled Nursing Home providing round-the-clock nursing care, along with two 10-bed dementia care units that benefit residents with Alzheimers Disease and other forms of dementia.  Rural Medical Clinic in Freeman is physically connected to the hospital.  The clinics share staffing with three full time physicians and four mid-level practitioners.  Rural Medical Clinics is owned and operated by Freeman Regional Health Services.  Walnut and Dewald Street Villages are 10-unit congregate Living independent apartments owned and operated by Freeman Regional Health Services.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salem Mennonite Home

In 1893 Aaron Peters built a general store on (Huber Motor site).  In 1898 Peter Graber bought the building for his home which he moved (to the Salem Home site).  In 1945 the building and Lots 68,69, and 70 were sold to Salem Home Corporation.  The building was remodeled and operated as the Sale Mennonite Home until 1965.   In 1965 The Salem Mennonite Home added a new building to the west for 30 residents.  The home continues to operate today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mutchelknaus Blacksmith Shop" was built in the early 1940's.  Charles Mutchelknaus grew up here.  The Hofer home was moved to the property in 1975 and is still here today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixth Street Businesses

We will travel from the east end of Sixth street and head west stopping at each business along the way.
Huber Motor is located on Freedom Corner page
Sioux Nation Vet Clinic
Freeman Vet Clinic started in 1992 at Dr. Hofer building on Main street.  (Ralph’s Feed was here in the 1990's)  The Vet Clinic moved to Sixth Street in 1995.    In 2012 the company became Sioux Nation Ag.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smidt Furniture
In 1964 Smidt Appliance and Furniture was started by Harry Lee Smidt on Main street.  The later moved to Menno and in 1993 moved to the Pine Hill Printery building .  After a fire in 1994 Smidt Furniture was built on Sixth street in 1995.  The warehouse was added on in 2000.  Kevin and Mike Smidt own the business today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freeman Computer Repair

In 1930 Christ P. Dickman bought Lot 6,7 from John Gross.  In 1934 C. P. Dickman bought the Warrior gas pumps (two hand pumps) and started "Dickman's" gas station (location of Computer Repair sign).  The building was removed in the 1950's when Earl Gering bought the property.  The property was sold in 2010 and Freeman Computer Repair started here.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Willow Inn > Printed Impressions
Before Willow Inn there was a pool hall at this location.  The building was later remodeled and became Paul Tschetters home.  After Charley Fliginger retired from farming in 1970, he started a body shop called "Willow Inn" repairing damaged vehicles for resale.  A 50 x 80 foot pole building was constructed and cars were purchased from an auto salvage in Missouri Valley, IA.  Charley ran the business, expanding in 1979 and operated until the late 1990's when the building was sold to Phillip Svartoien.  Printed Impressions began and is still operating here today. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Pine Hill Printery

Around 1902 Henry "Bones" C. Gering  lost his foot in a farm accident, unable to work he began making gold pin name pins.  His brother John Gering soon joined in and not long after he was making stationary for farmers.  John began printing books and advertising for farmers and Pine Hill Printery began.  1940 Pine Hill Printery officially started on the farm, named after the pine trees.  Pine Hill was located 2 miles east and 2 1/2 miles south of Freeman.  In 1960 the community was in desperate need of a printery and the courier (J.J. Mendel was sick at this time so Glenn and Vernon Gering took over the Courier).  In 1960 the Gering Brothers bought Pine Hill Printery and moved to Freeman.  Pine Hill Printery moved into the (Roller Rink on the corner of Sixth and Relanto, Reuben Pfeiffer building).  Pine Hill Printery operated for fifty one years until 1991 when Glenn retired and the business was sold.  Pine Hill Printery became Pine Hill Press and moved to Sioux Falls.  Smidt Furniture operated in the Sixth street building in 1993 until the fire in 1994.  (In 1995 they moved east on Sixth street). 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more on the memorial go to the Cemetery page.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kleinsasser Heating & Cooling Inc.
Kleinsasser Plumbing & Heating was founded in 1950 by Calvin Kleinsasser in a 24 x 24 foot horse barn at 412 E 6th street.  In 1960 a 54 x 42 foot Quonset was constructed over the building.  In 1975 a 40 x 60 foot addition was added.  From 1965 to 1978 850 heat pumps were installed.  Kleinsasser Heating & Cooling is still in business on Sixth street today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fifth Street Businesses

Freeman Hotel

Freeman Hotel was built by Anthony Miller in 1952 and opened in 1953.  Freeman Hospital Clinic started below the hotel in the early 1950's. In 1952 the Miller's opened "Millers Variety" store on the west side of the ground floor.  The space was sold to Northwestern Public Service in 1968.  The building was sold to John M. Stahl in 1975 and he sold it to Bernard Millar in 1976.  Today the building is Garden Apartments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beier Dentist Office > Everence Insurance
Years ago Alfred Haar had his house at this location which was torn down to make way for a new business in 1980.  In 1981 the Beier Dentist office was built to the east of the apartment building.  Bruce Beier was in business for 28 years until he retired in 1998.  Today Everence Insurance is at this location. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Silverstar Inn

In 1966 Toby and Erma Kapsch built a cafe on Fifth Street called the Silver Star Inn.  In 1976 Ron Bennett bought the Silver Star Inn and moved it to Highway 81 (Papa's location).  Today the Ulmer Apartments are here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relanto Street

Palace Lanes Bowling

Palace Lanes was built on Relanto street in 1961 by E.G. Clinto Co. (north of Pine Hill Printery).  There were eight lanes and 62 teams bowling league.  In 1981 Ken Anderson bowled a perfect 300.