Fourth Street Businesses

Freeman Wood Products > Senior Citizen Center

Before Freeman Clinic was built it operated here.  In 1951 J.D. Unruh and L.H. Linscheid began Freeman Wood Products Company here.  In 1971 the Linscheid building was purchased and became the Senior Citizen Center.  Today Ida Mae Massage is here also.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home Federal Bank
St Paul Lutheran Church sat on the corner here in the 1880's.  Home Federal started on Fourth street as First Federal Savings and Loan in 1974.  In 1983 the name was changed to Home Federal Bank.  In 1986 the bank remodeled and expanded to the south. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cor Trust Bank
(Established in 1902 as First National Bank on Main street in Kaufman building, later moved to corner of Main and Fourth, then moved to this location).  In the 1920's E.F. Tiesen house was here.  Later H.C. Gering had his house here.  In 1976 First National Bank building was constructed.  First National Bank became Cor Trust Bank in 2000.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Square Deal Garage
In 1919 Chas and Jake Schrag bought the lots west of the implement and built a garage.  In 1921 Julius J. Albrecht purchased a garage from Schrag Bros. on Fourth street.  He opened "Square Deal Garage" and repaired Model T's and other types of gas engines.  His three sons; Fred, Harvey, and Felix all worked as mechanics.  By 1963 Julius sons took over as mechanics of the business.  Square Deal Garage was still in operation in the 1980's.  The building was torn down in 2014.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1903 Karl and Jacob Delzer built a blacksmith shop at this location.  They moved the blacksmith shop from Main Street to Fourth Street (Next to Sqaure Deal). In 1919 the shop was sold to Frank and Chas Wilde and they opened Wilde Blacksmith shop.

In 1925 Kleinsasser Paint Shop started across from Square Deal Garage. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Met Theatre > Eddie's Radio & TV

In the 1920's Eli Kleinsasser started the Met Theatre.  The theater operated until the 1950's.  To the west was the Art Studio.  The theater building was later torn down in 1970.  (In 1964 Edwin Schmeichel moved his TV and radio business to Main street.)  After a fire in 1970 the business was moved to Fourth street.   Eddie's Radio & TV shop was at this location for several years operating out of the old Merchant Hotel building.  Linda's Barber Shop later started here, owned by Bill Wilde, then Lonnie Graber, then Terry Beauvias.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third Street Businesses

City Hall

In 1900 the city bought the original public school for a town hall.  Town Hall was here until 1913 when it moved into the Opera building on Main Street.  After nearly 60 years City Hall moved back here and the city added an ambulance service. In 1972 a new City Hall was built on third street, which included the Freeman Library.  Bernie Koller was the librarian from 1990 to 2006.  (In 2007 the library moved to Main street).  Freeman City Hall and Freeman Police Station are here today.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bake's Bar

In 1928 J.J. Mendel moved the Courier to this location where it ran for 32 years.  (It was then moved to Pine Hill Printery on Sixth street in 1961).  In 1964 a new building was constructed here for Freeman Municipal Liquor Store.  It became Freeman City Bar.  Today Bake's Bar is here.


"Say a good word for Freeman and watch her grow." ~ J.J. Mendel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeman Telephone Exchange

Freeman Telephone Exchange began in the Freeman Blacksmith shop.  In 1902 it was installed by J.W. Wipf and Christ Guenthner above the Wipf Drug store.  The company began with party lines and later switched to private dial.  In 1903 the first rural line was run south of town and another line was run north of town in 1905.  In 1904 farmers get telephone lines and the telephone exchange moved to the back of the drug store in 1906.  The telephone exchange was sold to Joshua Hofer and M.K. Hofer who later sold it to J.J. Mendel in 1910.  Mendel moved the exchange above the Schamber store.  In 1917 Mendel sold the exchange to a group of east Freeman farmers and they moved above Merchants State Bank.  In 1943 Carl Beier bought the telephone exchange and ran it until 1961.  He moved the telephone exchange to its present location and sold it to V.L. Bradley.  In 1967 Bradley sold the exchange to Continental Telephone Company.  Bison State Telephone in the 1970's.  Today Golden West Communication services internet and telephone systems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the 1950's Oliver "Twist" Kaufman had a blacksmith shop on Third street behind Merchants State Bank next to the Municipal Liquor Store.  In the 1970's - 1980's "Kurlee's Kleaners" operated next to the building.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VFW > Third Street Grill

At one point Bill Dugan ran a barrel manufacturing business here.  Fensel's Hatchery started here in 1931 and operated for several years (later moved to Cherry street).  In 1939 Mike Walter had a funeral home here which ended in 1942 during the war..  In 1948 the city bought the building from Erwin Wollman for Freeman Municipal Liquor Store.  (The store was moved to Bake's Bar site in 1964).  In the 1950's Freeman  bought the building from John Walter and VFW Wilde Post 3728 was constructed in 1964.  Barry Wiens later bought the building and opened "Rumors", later Garry Feterson opened "Broken Spoke".  In 2005 the building became Geo's Bar & Grill.  Third Street Grill started here in 2012.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Street Businesses

Ivan & Ray's Floor Covering

Ivan & Ray's Floor Covering started in 1949 and the building was constructed in 1956 at 204 E 2nd street.  The business started as Ivan's & Ray's Carpet Service and became a floor covering store.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Railway Street Businesses

Gross Hatchery

In 1929 Jake T. Gross started his hatchery next to the creamery.  He operated a cream station from the elevator east of the Depot and then opened a cream and poultry business in the early 1920's next to the Schamber building.  J.K. Hofer also sold cream. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North County Road

Freeman Dental Center / Vision Care

Freeman Dental Center and Vision Care

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weidenbach Cement Plant
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ralph's Feed Inc.

Ralph's Feed and Farm Supply started in 1976 in a garage.  In 1977 the business moved to Sixth street (Sioux Nation Ag site).  Today the business operates on North County Road.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saarie Auto Body

Saarie Auto Body opened on North County Road in 1987.  A few months later the building burned down in but was rebuilt shortly after.  Saarie Auto Body continues to operate on North County Road today.