Businesses on the 100 block of west Main Street

Goodridge Call Lumber Company > Farmers Coop Creamery > Associated Milk Producers Inc

In the 1900's Carpenter Lumber Company and Goodridge Lumber Company operated here.  They sold lumber, coal, and shingles.  The manager was J.E. Penner.  (In 1915 Jake T. Gross bought cream and poultry in the Hoffer and Tschetter store.  He churned the cream into butter with a 50 pound churn and "Gross butter became very popular."  He soon upgraded to a 100 gallon pasteurizer and a 500 pound churn.)  The Farmers Co-op Producer Association took over the butter business and Freeman Creamery was established in 1931.  In 1956 the Co-op  began buying whole milk and the cream was churned into sweet cream butter.  In 1960 they began producing powdered milk and added a 75x100 foot addition for the drying operation.  In 1969 the Farmers Dairy and Produce became Associated Milk Producers Inc.  "AMPI".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
North of the Lumber Company was the Freeman Depot.

For information the Freeman Depot Click Here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haar's 66
In 1943 Alton Haar bought and old schoolhouse building from Albert Krueger at 101 N Main street.  Albert had sold chislic and beer in the building.  Alton Haar turned the building into Haar's 66 service gas station.  In 1949 he added an addition for repair and another addition in 1952 for truck storage.  In 1966 he built a warehouse to the west of the station.  In 1974 Alton bought the lumber from the train depot and built a warehouse north of Freeman Lumber Co.  Rich's Welding and Machine later moved here.  Van Ningen Accounting started here in 2013.